Musée des Beaux Arts, Chambéry
The Musée des Beaux-Arts's original collection grew during the 19th century thanks to donations that now make up the majority its artworks. One of the largest donors was Victor-Emmanuel II, the King of Piedmont-Sardinia, who contributed around 20 paintings in 1850. Baron Hector Garriod, a collector and art dealer from Savoy who lived in Florence, gave the town almost 250 works from the collections of Florentine families from 1863 onwards. These Italian works from the 16th to the 18th century form the richest part of the museum. French, German, Flemish and Dutch schools make up the rest of the collection, notably thanks to shipments to the museum after 1860 when Savoy became part of France.