Carcassonne Fine Arts Museum
Officially created in 1836 by the Commission of Arts and Sciences of the City of Carcassonne, the Musée des Beaux-Arts was part of the encyclopaedic and educational trend that gave rise throughout the 19th century to the establishment of various important regional museums.
Relatively quickly, the collections, at first protean, began to focus on paintings in order to present a significant overview of the schools from past centuries as well as a broad selection of works by contemporary masters. They were able to achieve this not only through gifts from the State, but also thanks to the donations and legacies of collectors and benefactors, who included Jacques Gamelin and his son, Alphonse Coste-Reboulh and Casimir Courtejaire.
Thus, over the decades, by means of official and private generous gifts, as well as regular acquisitions, the Musée de Carcassonne has put together one of the most important fine arts collections in the South of France: outstanding old masters such as Chardin, Perrier, Rigaud , Subleyras, Gamelin ... , 19th century landscape painters such as Corot, Daubigny and Courbet, great academics – often regional history and genre artists - like Benjamin-Constant, J-P Laurens, E. Debat-Ponsan and Henri Martin, and finally modern masters such as A. Laugée and A. Marquet.