New images of the Opéra-Comique
Built during the reign of King Louis XIV, the Salle Favart was destroyed by fire twice during the 19th century and the current building was reconstructed in 1898 by the architect Louis Bernier.
The theatre was decorated by renowned academic artists such as Gervex, Maignan, Collin, Toudouze, etc. and is characterised by its opulence and eclecticism. Moreover, the Opéra-Comique was the first French theatre with electrical equipment integrated into its design and built in accordance with security regulations that were highly innovative in their day.
Dedicated to the presentation of the French opéra comique, the theatre also houses a costume workshop, while the Salle à la Française holds over 1,250 people.