Pau, musée des Beaux-Arts
The Musée des Beaux-Arts in Pau, which was founded in 1864, expanded its collections under the impetus of Charles Le Coeur, who first brought to the museum the works of the Devéria family, Pau-based painters, then a portion of the La Caze legacy: twenty-nine canvases arrived from the Louvre, including works by Gréco, Rubens, Jordeans, Ribera and even Zurbarán. Later, the Noulibos legacy enabled the museum to establish a solid acquisition policy, which was sometimes avant-garde, as demonstrated by the famous Bureau de coton à la Nouvelle-Orléans by Degas, which was purchased soon after its production despite a rather lukewarm public reception. Each work excels in epitomising a movement or a period, fitting perfectly with the educational vocation of a Musée des Beaux-Arts. The 19th-20th century collections currently exhibited illustrate landscapes with Corot, Orientalism with Bénouville, Impressionism with Berthe Morisot and naturalism with Adler. Most of the paintings on display are from Spanish painters and the proximity of Spain can be felt in the works of Sorolla, Zuloaga and Beruete. The same applies to the generations of French artists who were influenced by the Spanish masters.