Vallauris, National Picasso Museum “War and Peace”
Picasso painted the very large War and Peace in 1952, in his Fournas workshop in Vallauris. Although the
subject he depicted was directly related to the time after the war and to the many international calls for world
peace, this work is clearly allegorical. Some 300 preparatory drawings were made over the preceding months.
Multiple hardboard panels were necessary to paint the work, arranged vertically on a specially designed
wooden structure. Picasso’s two works War and Peace were especially produced for the chapel of Vallauris
Château in 1959.