The National Museum of Prehistory
The National Museum of Prehistory is located in the very heart of the Vézère valley, which has been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1979 for its wealth of prehistoric sites - there are approximately two hundred recorded sites, and many are extremely famous (Les Eyzies, La Madeleine, Le Moustier, La Micoque, Lascaux...).
In 1913, Denis Peyrony acquired the remains of the Château des Eyzies on behalf of the state, in order to build a storehouse for the archaeological finds as well as a proper museum. Opened in 1918, the museum's three rooms gave the visitor an introduction to Prehistory. Over time, the museum became too small and in 1994 the first stone of the museum extension was laid. The new museum, built against the cliff face, opened its doors to the public in July 2004 and now has a surface area of 5,000m2 to exhibit its collection.